Wednesday, May 4, 2011

...and then there were seedlings!

Okay, let's get right to the exciting stuff. Look!! Baby broccoli! I noticed these little seedlings on Thursday and snapped this picture on Sunday. They are already so much bigger! Gosh, they grow up so fast..*tear*


As of Monday night, I also have a few tomato seedlings up (current total: 26)! The tomato seedlings have two baby leaves, which I've learned are called cotyledon leaves or "seed leaves" because the cotyledon is actually part of the embryo within the seed. Right now, my tiny baby tomato plants are getting their nutrients from the cotyledon leaves. Soon, the first "true leaves" will grow above the baby leaves and these will begin photosynthesizing. After the true leaves appear, the baby leaves will fall off (I've also read if they don't fall off, one should pinch them off to avoid disease/rot from entering. I am PREPARED TO PINCH!). 

baby tomato plant, showing off its cotyledon leaves

Community Garden entrance



My garden plot - freshly hoed with compost added!


That's all for now - more when my true leaves are up!

No comments:

Post a Comment